Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Way You Make Me Feel...

Still coming down off of my NKOTB concert high, I feel compelled to share just how much I love these guys & why. I used to feel embarrased when I would admit my Blockhead status. Inevitably, someone makes fun of me in that way that makes you feel dumb or inferior. This use to bother me. This use to make me not share my love of this band. Then I grew up and realized how lucky I am to feel that way about well...anything...

I think to really understand it, you have to get to the roots. Where I was in life when they entered. My earliest New Kids memory..A story I love to tell, much to my parents dismay. I was 8ish, and my parents sat me down to tell me they are getting a divorce. They don't love eachother, but they still love me...yadayada...Then they tell me to open up the microwave, and lo and behold...sitting in the microwave was my first NKOTB tape. Nothing makes you forget the impending life altering change divorce will bring quite like a New Kids tape. Over the next two years, with my life in a spin cycle. The love developed. My walls were plastered with Tiger Beat and Pop! pics of my band. On Sep. 16th 1990, I saw them live. Somewhere floating around is a picture of me wide eyed and mouth agape at this event.

Somewhere here I got older. New Kids faded away. Like a once beloved Teddy Bear...I just kinda forgot them. The love still existed, just packed away in a corner of my heart. Then a few years ago I started hearing buzz that they may reunite for a one time only reunion concert. All at once, it came rushing back. A few months passed, and I hear a concert is definitely in the works. Then...one day at lunch...I'm driving back to work and I hear a song. I'm driving along thinking, "this song is really good. Hmm...it kinda sounds like the New Kids? OMG, OMG, OMG....IT IS!!!!!!" I pulled up to my work screaming and singing along to "Summertime". My boss was outside thinking I was having some kind of attack in my car! lol. Since then, I've not only been lucky enough to see them once last year, I also got to see them again Sunday.

I wish I could really explain what comes over me. I hear them sing or see a picture, and my heart pounds. I feel flutters of excitement in my stomach. I honestly and genuinely love these guys. Maybe it was the time in my life when they came along, maybe it just the fact that they were the first band I liked at an age when I was bound to discover music. I don't know. But seeing them was just like seeing them 19 years ago. It was pure joy. It was innocent and free. And to all the people that loooove to rag on me about this...

If you don't have something that makes you feel this way...then I just feel sorry for you.

All my love,
S




No comments:

Post a Comment